Pathways to College Project: Drs. Peña and Jodie Kocur were awarded a grant from California Lutheran University to study the experiences of 41 families who prepared their children with autism for college. The interviews are being analyzed to understand the ways in which families supported students with autism to gain access to college and to navigate the collegiate environment.
Exemplary Faculty Project: Drs. Peña and doctoral student, Kimberly Austin, are interviewing 10-15 faculty members who have been nominated as being especially supportive and responsive to college students with autism. Faculty will share their experiences in successfully teaching and advising students on the spectrum. Their stories will inform recommendations to improve faculty interactions with college students.
Technology Prezi Project: This interactive infographic highlights the importance of technology for individuals who experience communication challenges
- Peña, E.V. & Kocur, J. (in press). Parenting experiences in supporting the transition of students with autism spectrum disorders into community college. Journal of Applied Research in Community Colleges.
- Peña, E.V. (2013). Marginalization of published scholarship on students with disabilities in journals of higher education. Journal of College Student Development.
- Peña, E.V. (2012). Faculty development aimed at redressing inequitable educational outcomes: Using inquiry methods for critical consciousness and self-change. Review of Higher Education.
- Jimenez y West, I., Gokalp, G., Peña, E.V., Fischer, L. & Gupton, J. (2011). Exploring effective support practices for doctoral students' degree completion. College Student Journal, 45 (2), 310-323.
- Peña, E.V., Colyar, J. & Bensimon, E. M. (2006). Contextual problem-defining: Learning to think and act from the standpoint of equity. Liberal Education, 92 (2), 48-55.
- Bensimon, E. M., Polkinghorne, D. E., Bauman, G., & Vallejo, E. (2004). Doing research that makes a difference. Journal of Higher Education, 75(1), 104-132.
- Peña, E.V. & Polkinghorne, D.E. (2012). Evaluating the Equity Scorecard project: The participants' points of view. In E.M. Bensimon & L. E. Malcom (Eds.) Confronting Equity Issues on Campus: Implementing the Equity Scorecard in Theory and in Practice. Sterling, VA: Stylus Publishing.
- Peña, E.V., Harris, F. & Bensimon, E. M. (2012). The Equity Scorecard: Chronicling the change process. In E.M. Bensimon & L. E. Malcom (Eds.) Confronting Equity Issues on Campus: Implementing the Equity Scorecard in Theory and in Practice. Sterling, VA: Stylus Publishing.
- Palucki-Blake, L., Peña, E.V. et. al. (2012). Faculty learning and reflection from student interviews. In E.M. Bensimon & L. E. Malcom (Eds.) Confronting Equity Issues on Campus: Implementing the Equity Scorecard in Theory and in Practice. Sterling, VA: Stylus Publishing.
- Peña, E.V. (under review). [Review of the book Disability and Campus Dynamics: New Directions for Higher Education]. Journal of Postsecondary Education and Disability.
- Vallejo, E. (2004). [Review of the book Colegio Cesar Chavez, 1973-1983: A Chicano struggle for self-determination]. Aztlan, 29(1), 311-313.
- Peña, E.V., Harris, F.H. & Bensimon, E.M. (2011). Building the Capacity of Community College Practitioners to Become Responsive to Students of Color. Paper presented at Association for the Study of Higher Education (ASHE). Charlottesville, NC.
- Carrasco Nungaray, M. & Peña, E.V. (2011). Faculty Institutional Agents at a California Community College. Symposium paper presented at Association for the Study of Higher Education (ASHE). Charlottesville, NC.
- Peña, E.V. (2011). The Marginalization of Published Scholarship on Students with Disabilities in Higher Education Journals. Paper presented at American Education Research Association (AERA). New Orleans, LA.